Sunday, May 6, 2012

Bring Rocky Home - 2012-05-05 - 11:59pm

Hi there,

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend..... Susan and I left early this morning to drive back to Houston .... Your dad stayed behind in Florida as I mentioned last night.....

We drove to New Orleans to go check one more time if you were there.... We check the two big shelters.... The one on O.C. Hailey and the one on Kamp street. We spoke to numerous people in the French Quarter, we walked through Jackson square, we handed out flyers, photo's and tried whatever were could...... We stopped under the bridge where all the homeless people gather (close to the shelter on O.C. Hailey and found a few people that said that they have seen you as recently as this morning.). When we followed up on the leads none of then really added up. Last we went to the public library...... You will never guess who we ran into there.... Wayne..... He said that you were his little brother and that if we talk to you we must tell you that he said hi.... He also posed for a photo for you...... See the insert..... I wish that you stayed with him.... at least we know that he is one of the good guys.

We are driving back to Houston now... Susan is driving so I am writing to you.... I normally write just before I go to bed but we won't be home until almost 1:00am so I have to finish now.

This has been such a humbling experience to me.....
- First of all I realize that I should never take anything for granted. We did that with you and now we might have lost you forever....
- Secondly, don't judge people by their appearance. We met so many homeless people that wanted to help us find you. They did not want any money from us..... All they wanted to do was make sure that you are safe and that we find you....
- I realize that any of us can end up in that situation at any time. These days nothing is guaranteed. Today I can have a job and tomorrow not.
- I was always scared of homeless people.... Today we spoke with a young girl, she is the same age as you. Her father is dead, her moth live in Arizona and wants nothing to do with her and she called her brother in Austin and he is not willing t help her. Susan and I were crying with her and hugged her but we felt helpless to do anything for her. We gave her the name of a women's shelter that can help her...
- We realized that there are many wonderful people in this world - people that will donate money, time and in some cases their entire lives to helping people in need....

So, from now on I will help a person by buying them food, volunteer at shelters and just try and be friendlier to people.... And I will remember not to judge people.... I don't know how they got where they are and until I know I should not be so fast to judge.....

Rocky, it is sad that there are so many poor, hungry people in this world. Too many and there is not enough people that is willing to help them. You have the means of doing that so in stead taking, how about us giving some back?

One more thing that we also have to realize is that not all people are good - whether they have money or not, whether they live in a big house or in a small shack or whether they live on the streets - there are bad people in this world also and by doing the things we are doing right now we are putting ourselves in danger. Like I mentioned before - you should not judge people by their apperance, some people that look good can be bad. That being said, sometimes following up on leads can put us in more danger than what we are willing to admit. People could set traps for us but because we are so eager to find you, we will follow any lead, no matter how small. I will leave you with this though right now....

We love you and we miss you and we will help you no matter what.... just contact us.

Lots of love,
Dad and Ma

No comments:

Post a Comment